CIA members who currently hold a dan level in the CIA can join the ZNIR at an annual summer CIA seminar without testing for a dan level. As many people as possible should join the ZNIR since it will show our commitment to Iaido and the organization.
Non-CIA Dan holders, or No dan:
- People who do not hold a ZNIR/CIA dan or otherwise must test for ZNIR Shodan, pay the required fees, and apply for ZNIR membership at the same time as the Shodan test. You are encouraged to apply for ZNIR membership before testing for ZNIR dan provided you are a member of a CIA-affiliated dojo, and are approved by the CIA President or Kansayaku. Applying early for basic ZNIR membership will be beneficial to your future Iaido practice.
Current practicing CIA Dan holders:
- Current practicing CIA Dan holders can join the ZNIR without testing at an annual seminar even if they are not testing or are not attending the seminar. They will need to fill out the required forms and pay the required fees in order to receive a registration card from the ZNIR.
- If they want to test for a higher dan, they need to be registered with the ZNIR. So, register now for future use.
- When a CIA dan holder passes a test for a higher dan, they will receive a ZNIR dan certificate for the new level.
- CIA dan certificates will no longer be issued.
ZNIR registration requirements:
- Fill out a registration card with other papers and submit them to ZNIR officials. Currently this is only possible at the CIA annual seminar.
- Show a valid government issued identity card at the registration table before a seminar.
- Pay the ZNIR entry fee (Nyukaihi入会費) for basic membership. This is a one time fee to join the ZNIR and become a ZNIR registered member.
Information required for ZNIR applications:
Applicants must fill out the registration card (登録カード) and the pledge form (誓約書) with the following required information:
- One recent 4cm x 3cm passport style photo (NOT passport size!). The photo MUST be 4cm x 3cm. (1.6 inches x 1.2 inches)
- Iaido style (Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu)
- Full name in Japanese or Katakana and in English
- Date of birth
- Current address
- Group (Kanto Chiku Renmei, Canada Iaido Kyoukai Shibu, [your dojo])
- Current occupation
- Dates of all previous CIA dan exams (If you do not know these dates, they can be obtained by email from the CIA President)
Please see the ZNIR and CIA fees page for further information on costs of joining the ZNIR and dan testing in Canada.
- All CIA members with dan level should apply for ZNIR membership so they will be ready to test in the future.
- If someone does not attend the annual seminar, information will be supplied on how to join ZNIR in that situation.
- All instructors should start to gather materials for people who want to join ZNIR.
- ZNIR membership can be attained by legitimate CIA practitioners without testing for a dan at a seminar, provided they are approved by either the CIA president or Kansayaku.
- A ZNIR membership is not required to attend CIA seminars. Current CIA dan holders can join the ZNIR even if they are not attending an annual seminar.